24 September, 2010

Last of the Summer Wine

Fitting for the last week of Summer, I thouroghly enjoyed an episode of "Last of the Summer Wine" on PBS tonight.  How a situational comedy about three geriatric males is so completely entertaining is beyond me.  I've enjoyed this show since high school.  It made me think of the seasonal change that is afoot. A quirky quote from the show (Foggy was in his 70's):

Walter "Foggy" Dewhurst: Every time I come up here, the spirit soars! You can't help
thinking what a wonderful place it would be to set up a machine gun! Give me a
small squad of hand-picked men and I could defend this place indefinitely!
NormanClegg: How long have you been a nature lover, Foggy? 
 

Last of the Summer Wine cast

I spent two of the last three evenings on Lake Red Rock paddling in my new kayak with my Dad.  The first evening was intermittently pouring rain, but we went out anyway because of typical free-time shortage.  We hid under the "mile-long" bridge at one point because of the downpour.  The next night was quite the opposite; beautiful, cool, insectless, with just a little chop.  We shared the 15,000 acres the lake offers with only a couple of fishing boats.  Fall begins the transition of the activity at the lake from the campgrounds and rec areas to the resource areas.  Youth hunters and waterfowlers are out in search for early season game.  The old men begin driving through the campgrounds as sunset approaches to spy on the ever increasing numbers of whitetails.  The kids have gotten into their "groove" at school, and now we are attempting to get into our own routine as work schedules change with the seasons.  I've begun dreaming about napping in my treestands and looking forward to the camradarie of Shotgun I.  It's nearly time for wearing fleeces with shorts, the fall "uniform."  With the sun setting on the summer and look toward a busy fall, I hope I will be able to get out and enjoy the lake this season.




No comments: