06 October, 2010

Bow season has started in Iowa!

I've been looking forward to getting into the bow stand since spring.  Typically, my archery fervor is refueled by attending the Iowa Whitetail Classic.  Drooling over gear, guns, and fine mounted specimens of Iowa's corn fed antlers.  I always shake my head at all of the activated carbon based "scent-killing" apparel that claims to be "re-activated" in the dryer (thermal regeneration of activated carbon requires a three step process and temperatures of 800-900 degrees Celsius).  I'm glad I knew this before I could ever afford to buy that junk.  I digress...(pet peeve). 
I actually have more recently spent more of my hunts on the ground in a cheapo blind.  I find that it's easier to move to where the deer are traveling through especially since I have neither the time nor the dough to set up numerous tree stands.  My first blind was a nice 5-hub blind with shoot through screens and graphite rods.  After a morning of hiding behind a tangled mess of graphite and camo fabric because it broke during set up in the dark, I was about to disavow blinds all together.  Then I bought a cheap, spring-steel pop up type with big, zippered windows and found that blinds are all right.  Once again, thrift appealing to my Dutch heritage.  I find that I am tempted to hunt in areas that I've not hunted before because of unsuitble trees or cover.  I no longer worry about waking up hanging from my harness because I fell out of the stand dreaming of antlers.
Another benefit for me is to be able to stow any one of my four tagalongs (children) to hunt along with me. 
This is Bear last year in the blind with me at the age of 2.  He sat quietly for over two hours, a feat that is rare in church, and got to see several does up close.  This is a great chance for a little one-on-one time with one of the kids and a good way to pass on the passion for the outdoors. 

No comments: