26 October, 2010

Getting Birdy

Very soon pheasant season will be open in Iowa.  I hope to make a trip up to northwest Iowa within the first few weeks of opening weekend.  Bird numbers are down, by and large, according to the DNR's roadside counts.  However, in northwest Iowa there are still plenty of birds.  I have a newbie hunting dog that didn't get much experience last year as I was unable to hunt as much as I would have liked.  Our one trip up north with her was disappointing because there was so much corn still in the fields that Sadie didn't get to show much of her nose.  She did follow commands quite well and stayed close working.
Sadie Hawkins is a looker! When we began searching for a new dog, we decided on a GSP because of their natural ability (hopefully to make up for an inexperienced trainer).  My wife came along on a hunt with my brother-in-law's dog and got to see what a well-trained pointer can do.  Needless to say, she was sold.
This is Jinny, the dog that can smell birds, even in freeze-dried air!  I recently hit up a trap range with Wife's Dad and Brother with my new shotgun.  Now that the recreation season is officially finished for the year, the plan is to get out on...a WEEKEND! 

No comments: